Monday, November 2, 2009

My First Halloween

Happy Halloween a few days late!

IMG_4910

The big news last week, that I forgot to share, was that Sabine lost her umbilical stump on Friday. Good riddance, it was disgusting. But we did take a few pictures the day before it fell off, and the cute factor more than makes up for the stump, in our humble opinion.

IMG_4875

IMG_4872

IMG_4871



Over the weekend, she started throwing up a lot of what she was eating, so in good Brand Spanking New Parent fashion, we rushed off to the Children's Hospital emergency room on Sunday. She was promptly diagnosed with Little Piggy Syndrome* and is on the verge of overeating and not burping enough, so we have taken to plunking her on the back a lot more and regulating her feedings a little more. Verdict: she is fine. And has already surpassed her birth weight.


This is Dustin's last week of paternity leave, so we're settling in to some trashy T.V. and napping as much as possible. (Which still isn't much, but we're trying. It's nice having a tag team.)


Also, does anyone have any tips for cutting newborn fingernails? We're currently stuffing her hands in mittens and occasionally glancing fearfully at the itty-bitty nail clippers.

IMG_4905

*Not quite the terminology used by the medical professionals we saw, but close enough

4 comments:

  1. 1. Sabine is an adorable baby (and no -- I'm not just saying that -- she really is beautiful).

    2. I was a nanny for a couple years right out of college and found that the easiest time to cut fingernails was when the baby is napping in your lap -- she's not squirming and you can pretty much take your time. (Also, sometimes you have to grip those baby clippers like a vice because the fingernails are soft and the clippers aren't sharp.)

    And now I will end the advice-giving ... I probably should leave it to the more experienced anyway!

    I'm so glad you're doing this. One of the things I miss most being here is watching my friends' babies grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baby belly photos! So CUTE! And the fact that those tiny Ts are still enormous on her. :)

    Jen is right -- cut her nails while she's sleeping on your lap. It's really no big deal. You can do it! Take your time. Sometimes I still only manage to do a few of B's nails in one day, then a few more the next day.

    Enjoy your last week of maternity/paternity leave together, and give me a call if you and S need some company next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...I only do Penny's nails while she is sound asleep on my lap. But I also didn't use clippers for the first 4 months. The skin grows so close with the nails right after birth, and I was a wimp! However, just filing them was great...newborn nails are so thin, it's easy to file them away. I still only cut them occassionally and file weekly.

    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!
    In france, you don't cut fingernails before 1 month old but hey, as everybody knows you do what you can with babies, they decide for you :)
    Anyway, you can always "limer" her nails if you don't want to cut them.
    Otherwise, they make good baby cut-nail (coupe-ongle).
    I'm glad to see everything's going fine for you.
    lylas,
    Maud

    ReplyDelete