Friday, August 27, 2010

Finger Painting = FAIL

I had high hopes for our first arts and crafts project. I had heard about other babies Sabine's age enjoying finger painting, so I got the supplies, set up a clean area on our patio, ran a bath ahead of time, and stripped the little girl down to a disposable swim diaper. I felt so prepared.

ha ha.

It did look pretty before we actually began....

IMG_6618

Sabine thought so too.

IMG_6619

Oooh! Paper!

IMG_6620

(See how I thoughtfully laid out three pieces with blissfully ignorant intentions of having artwork to hang on our fridge, and also the fridges of her grandparents?)

So we began, and I dipped a couple of Sabine's fingers gently in the blue paint. She looked at it for a minute, then snatched the plate, turned it upside down, and ran off with it. Then screamed when I tried to take it away from her.

IMG_6623

IMG_6621

IMG_6625

A little paint did accidentally end up on the paper. But mostly it was all over Sabine's body, my clothes, and what's left of our potted plants.

We are going to go ahead with the climbing and bouncing toys and blocks for the forseeable future, and ix-nay anything arts and crafts-y. At least the finger paint really was washable!

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes!!! You are far braver than I am, my dear friend! I have yet to try finger paints with B! Just this summer we have ventured into Play Do land and even that makes me nervous. But I love that you got a piece of artwork out of it after all -- though I sincerely admire you high hopes for three pictures from the event. So cute! (In the future -- at least the near future -- perhaps you may want to consider washable crayons? ;) ) (Oh, and by the way, I almost always strip B down to a swim diaper when he plays in the backyard these days -- we're not dealing with finger paint yet, but dirt and water and the sandbox and sidewalk chalk makes for one messy toddler. Much easier to just literally hose them off afterward. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yogurt on the high-chair tray is the way to finger paint at this age :-)

    ReplyDelete